Fogarty EDvance commissioned the research in order to have its School Improvement Program independently assessed and evaluated. The research is being undertaken by ECU over an extended period, tracking the year by year implementation of the three year-long Program, including the participation of each of the eight schools involved in the first cohort and the outcomes they achieve.
The first report focuses on the first year of the Program, which ran from May 2012 to April 2013. During this time, the Principals were exposed to best practice thinking and a framework for school leadership and effectiveness, culminating in the requirement to deliver a two year improvement plan by April 2013 which is to be implemented in the School during the second and third years of the program (from May 2013 to April 2015).
The ECU report has identified some positive early results of the impact of the Program. These include:
- The Principals – and their mentors – have developed new professional knowledge in a range of key areas;
- The Principals have grown as reflective leaders;
- The mentoring process has been a critical factor in supporting the Principals’ growth in capacity and in their confidence as leaders;
- The Principals have improved their capacity to identify strategic directions and actions and develop targeted, strategic, three year improvement plans; and
- The Principals have developed new understanding of the student learning environment and of strategies to focus, align and engage with parents and the broader school community.
In addition, ECU commented:
All the principals have demonstrated new understandings of leadership, and are variously applying this new knowledge and confidence to a more strategic leadership role. All the principals have extended their capacity to position their school’s strategic directions, underpinned by specific and measurable goals. New understanding of the value and source of evidence to support decision-making aligned with these strategic directions is underpinning planned change in these case study schools.
To access a copy of the Executive Summary of the report, or a copy of the full report, please click on the relevant link below. The full report also contains case studies of each of the eight schools participating in the first cohort.
- Executive Summary (PDF version, 9 pages totalling 1 MB)
- Complete first year report (PDF version, 158 pages totalling 4 MB)
For more information on Fogarty EDvance, visit www.fogartyedvance.org.au