The Foundation partners with Edith Cowan University in the Learning Centre to develop and test innovative ideas to improve teaching and learning in WA, enabling long term impact on teacher education.
The Centre is uniquely positioned to identify and pioneer new programs, within WA’s largest teacher education program at ECU. Currently, the Centre focuses on improving literacy and numeracy outcomes, supports research projects and provides scholarships and prizes for teachers working in the important area of learning difficulties.
- 7 scholarships awarded to teachers furthering their education studies through a Masters in Education or a Graduate Certificate in Learning Difficulties
- Prizes awarded to the highest achieving student in the Graduate Certificate and a Masters of Education in Learning Difficulties
- 25 students tutored by 14 ECU pre-service teachers in the Fogarty Numeracy Clinic
- An evaluation of the Direct Instruction (DI) Reading Mastery program at a Perth secondary school
- Encouraging results from evaluations of programs using Direct Instruction in secondary schools
- PhD research in remote Kimberley schools reveals significant improvements in student outcomes from use of an explicit teaching program and a home-led reading fluency program.