A warm welcome to our 2023 UWA Fogarty Scholars
UWA First Year Scholars Leadership Reception – 23 March 2023
It was wonderful to have the opportunity to hear from so many inspiring UWA Fogarty Scholars and alumni at the annual Leadership Reception hosted for the first year UWA Fogarty and Winthrop Scholars and their families. After Professor David Sadler’s opening address and remarks from Foundation Chairperson Annie Fogarty AM, the audience was treated to a stimulating panel discussion from five outstanding young people.
The panel comprised alumni:
- Chelsea Francis (BCom 2019), who is currently employed as an Associate at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and is the DIrector of the Human Rights Legal Group of Western Australia (HRLG WA) with Amnesty International Australia;
- Harry Smallbone (BPhil(Hons) 2017 and MD 2020), who has been working at Fiona Stanley as a Resident Medical officer since the start of 2021; and
- Adehlia Ebert (BPhil(Hons) 2019 and JD 2022), who is an Associate at the Supreme Court of Western Australian and has working there since the start of 2022. She is also a tutor at UWA.
and current Scholars:
- Rana Ibrahim (Cohort of 2020) who is undertaking her Bachelor of Medical Science double major in Integrated Medical Sciences and Clinical Practice; and
- Jason Lu (Cohort of 2021) who is undertaking his Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours), majoring in Engineering Science and Mathematics and Statistics.
Panellists discussed what ‘leadership’ means to them and the ways in which the Scholarship program supported them in becoming a leader. The differences between university and high school, and what panellists wished they knew in their first year was also a fascinating conversation. They spoke about the freedom and opportunities that University life offers and the challenge of balancing trying out lots of new things, with also keeping from becoming overloaded and stressed as a result.
Advice for first years on setting priorities, supporting their self care and managing study were shared, as well as the opportunities that panel members took during their time. Tips or messages for the first years included:
- Don’t be afraid of failure, but if you do fail, then take the opportunity to learn from it;
- Take your time, try new things, find what you are passionate about;
- If things don’t go to plan, that’s ok, but take accountability if it’s due to your actions;
- Enjoy doing as much as you do, as much as doing nothing at all;
- Don’t confuse what you do with who you are; and
- Lastly, the very wise perspective of: Don’t stress too much, as ultimately, everything will be fine.
Thank you so much to our UWA Fogarty Scholars and Alumni for giving their time for an event that was very well received by the first years, with thanks also to UWA for hosting this great event.